Tuesday, May 20, 2014

What’s Inside My Bag?

Are you looking for the must-have items that you need to bring when travelling or when going to work with your breast pump? I am going to give you ideas on what I have been bringing everyday for the last three years.

I started expressing breast milk at work in 2011 for my eldest son. I stopped when I got pregnant with my daughter in 2012 but I still nurse my eldest at night while pregnant. I just don’t express and store anymore breast milk while at work. He also weaned from bottle feeding when I got pregnant. Though my eldest is back in drinking stored breast milk from the bottles because he is seeing it from his sister. This is another story to share.

First Travel Bag: A Failure

Before I share what I bring now everyday at work, on my first day when I came back to work from maternity leave, I brought a small fuchsia pink luggage. Inside the luggage: a small cooler and a small bag with my manual pump. I asked from the staff of our banquet operations cube ice during lunch time for my cooler. During the first two days, I found it hard to manage because when the ice melts, water drippings will be all over wherever I go. It is hard to commute carrying a luggage.

On my second day, I decided to get the single electric pump model of the brand of my manual pump and bought blue ice Coleman from SM department store. I used the luggage for 2 months. After using the single electric pump for a year, the machine gave up. So I have to look for another pump.

Second Travel Bag: Now a Success!

Now, I am using my ever reliable Jansport backpack. According to the tag of the bag, the handle helps lessen 50 percent of its total weight! I decided to get a back pack to make my hands free for carrying other stuff and my office bag.

So here goes the list:

Breast pump: In 2012, I shift to single Avent electric/manual pump. I bought from SM department store at a discounted price. As far as I know, Baby Company is on sale every March of the year. Plus, check the schedule of the yearly baby fair which is usually held at SM Megatrade hall. They offer great discounts. You will see in the photos that my 2-year old unit has been serving us. Thank you to Avent’s amazing product. 

Avent milk storage cups: I also got this at a discounted price. The box contains 10 cups with lids and 2 connectors. I use this when storing the breast milk inside the fridge at home.
 
Fridge-to-go: I bought my fridge-to-go from SM Centerpoint as well. It has panels inside. I store this inside the freezer. The one you see in the photo is also a 2-year old model. It is still working and serves its purpose. I put this Fridge-to-go bag inside a muslin cloth bag before I put it inside my backpack.

Ice packs: To help maintain the coolness of the fridge-to-go, I also put two ice packs which I bought from babymama.com. One ice pack is inside the pocket and the other one is inside the main bag. By the way, I removed the handle of the bag. I don’t need it anyway.

Milk storage bags: I segregate the breast milk that I express. There are batches for freezer and for fridge. I use storage plastic bags when storing inside the freezer. I also bought from babymama these Spectra bags.

Wash cloth: I bring wash cloth to wipe drippings of breast milk.

Lock and Lock container: I keep the pump and cups inside the container to secure the parts.

Extension cord: This is optional. I use this if I want to use my electric pump and I am not sure if there is an accessible socket and there is a need to express milk within a limited time frame. For instance, I am out for a meeting or conference.

Soap and Alcohol: To clean and sanitize your hands.

Tissue or wipes: For spills

Water tumbler: This is essential for nursing moms. Make it a habit to drink water before expressing milk and then drink again after expressing milk.

Tote bag: I keep all the stuff inside a tote bag before putting inside my backpack. This is to secure the precious items inside my bag.






This list is just an option of what you can bring when you go back to work or if you are going to be away from your baby for a day. 

The best present you can ever give at the end of the day is your breast milk.


Mommy kisses,

May

No comments:

Post a Comment