Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Where is the perfect spot to express your breast milk?


Since I have been expressing breast milk in 2011, I can say that I have become resourceful where and when I can express milk. I can even do it while working and talking with someone, using a manual pump!

You would probably agree with me – we can multi-task better than our spouses, right mommies?

I really need to multi-task. When at work, I do not want to make it an excuse that I need to express milk. I am fully aware that there is a law that allows nursing moms to have additional 40 minutes to express milk on top of the usual break times.

It is a personal choice. I want to provide the best milk then, I have to look for ways on how to do it effectively and efficiently. I am willing to sacrifice time for myself because I know I am investing the best investment I will ever make – the health of my children. This is for them. Actually, for all of us. Here goes my list of places where I expressed milk and still a perfect place for me to continue expressing milk:


  • Movie house: In order for me to watch a movie with my husband just in time to the next screening, I expressed milk inside the movie house. Actually, at this time, I personally do not choose to watch a late night movie with my husband or friends. My kids’ body clock will say around seven or eight o’clock in the evening, “Mama will be home anytime soon.” I aim to be at their side at eight or nine in the evening, the latest. During Christmas parties, I express milk right after eating dinner so that when I get home, I will just take a bath and be with them in an instant.

  • Quezon City Circle Park: In one of the covered areas of the park where our team building was held, I expressed milk while participating in a charades game. I can still remember, I was able to answer “Palawan” in just 5 seconds! Then when I checked my milk container after the entire game, I got 6 ounces of milk.

  • Waiting lounge: While my husband and I were waiting for our turn to have the keys in our unit, I need to express milk. There is no other choice but wherever we were sitting. Again, I don’t care if a male agent is sitting in front of us. I have my cover and I can do whatever I have to do.

  • Hotel clinic: During our annual company-wide Christmas party, after dinner I have to express my milk. I went to the hotel’s clinic. The doctor on-duty provided me a covered area. However, to my surprise, while in the middle of doing my job, she opened the curtain. She watched while I express milk and asked me questions.

  • Hotel small room: When I cannot be away that long during a seminar and it will take time to go to the hotel’s clinic, I just ask from the hotel staff if there is a small room that is vacant near the room where the seminar is being held.

  • Nursing station: More and more establishments are supporting breastfeeding moms. Whenever I need to do some errands at the mall after work, I express milk at the nursing station.

  • Comfort room: Yes, you read it right. In our office, we have this comfort room that is opened when there is a function at the hall. This means it is not usually used. Though right now, it is opened daily. I expressed milk in this not so-good and not advisable location for one year.

  • My office desk: Then, I learned to express milk on my desk. There were times that even male colleagues approached me without noticing what I am doing. I can hide it under my shawl and desk.

  • Pantry: While chit chatting with colleagues after eating lunch, I express milk.

  • Car, FX and bus: Yes, I value time that is why when there is a chance, I will express milk.


My chaotic desk


I can express milk practically anywhere. I just need a cover and I can manage. My mind set is, I do not care what the people around me will say. All I want is to express milk because my children need my milk. Plus, if I don’t express milk with filled breasts, it will make me sick. It will give me a headache and it will make me uneasy.  

These are some ideas that you can follow. Always remember that do whatever works for you. Read other tips of other moms then come up with your own drill when you need to express milk.

How about you mommy, where have you expressed your milk lately? Enjoy expressing milk! This is for our babies.


Mommy kisses,

May

No comments:

Post a Comment